What is Beta-alanine
Beta-alanine, β-alanine, is a non-essential amino acid naturally produced by the human body. It is also non-proteinogenic amino acid. Beta-alanine is synthesized in the liver and can be obtained form the diet through animal foods such as beef and chicken. When ingested, β-alanine combines with histidine in skeletal muscle and other organs to form carnosine. Beta-alanina doesn’t play a role in protein synthesis. Instead, it helps produce carnosine, which is stored in skeletal muscle. Like creatine, beta-alanine is a naturally occurring amino acid that is primarily stored in the body’s muscle. β-alanine is the precursor of muscle carnosine and is the limiting factor for muscle carnosine synthesis. Carnosine is an antioxidant and buffer that stabilizes muscle PH. Beta-alanine powder supplementation may improve athletic performance.
What Is β-alanine Powder Used For
- Mainly used for the synthesis of pantothenic acid and calcium pantothenate or nutritional additives for food.
- Used as electroplating corrosion inhibitors and biochemical reagents.
- It can be sued in researches such as microbiology and biochemistry.
- β-alanine has excellent performance in fitness sports.
- Acts as a major PH buffer and an antioxidant in muscle tissue.
- It can regulate muscle contraction, prevent muscle oxidation and glycation, improve muscle endurance, promote muscle and strength growth, as well as enhance sports performance(including anaerobic and aerobic exercise).
Why is beta alanine in pre workout
Beta-alanine powder can increase carnosine levels. Carnosine, on the other hand, is an antioxidant and a buffer that can stabilize muscle PH, buffer muscle acid. β-alanine may help improve athletic performance by reducing fatigue and improving endurance and performance during high-intensity exercise. Its benefits associated with strength and performance include:
- Improve high-intensity exercise. Muscle fatigue due to muscle acidity levels can limit the duration of high-intensity exercise. Beta-alanin may enhance performance by reducing acidity, enhancing high-intensity exercise performance.
- Reduce fatigue. β-alanine supplementmay help people exercise for longer periods of time before they burnt out. Some evidence suggests that beta-alanine supplement may improve performance in endurance sports, such as distance running. While the type of exercise and duration of physical activity may play an important role, there is evidence that beta-alanine is synergistic, meaning it provides energy to help improve performance.
- Increase muscle mass and strength. Supplementation with Beta-alanina can help people increase muscle mass, allowing them to perform high-intensity training for longer periods of time.
- Beta-alanine has been shown to enhance muscular endurance during high-intensity exercise lasting 1-10 minutes.
More About β-alanine
Glucose is the body’s main source of fuel during exercise. The body produces lactic acid from glucose, which produce hydrogen ions. Hydrogen ions lower the PH value in muscles, making them more acidic. Increased acidity makes it harder for the body to break down glucose, which reduces the ability of muscles to contract and then lead to fatigue.
Higher levels of carnosine allow muscles to perform longer before becoming fatigued. Carnosine can reduce the acid levels present in the muscles by helping to regulate acid buildup in the muscles. This can help reduce muscle fatigue and improve performance.
Beta-alanine is one of the main components of carnosine. β-alanine supplement can boost carnosine production. When the supplement is ingested, it turns into the molecule carnosine, which acts as a muscle acid buffer in the body. Carnosine is stored in cells and released when the PH value drops. During intense exercise, carnosine binds to hydrogen ions to slow the drop in intracellular PH, allowing for longer periods of exercise at higher intensities.
Research shows that taking 3.2-6.4g beta-alanine supplementation daily. To avoid paresthesias, it it recommended to take 0.8-1.6g every 3-4 hours. In addition, sustained release beta alanine is available that allow higher doses without the risk of paresthesias. While β-alanine powder is often included in pre-workout stacks, the timing of intake doesn’t affect its effectiveness.
At present, the production of beta-alanine powder mainly includes chemical synthesis, biological enzyme conversion and microbial fermentation.
Chemical synthesis method
Chemical synthesis is now the main method for large-scale production of β–alanine. According to the different synthetic raw materials, the methods mainly include acrylic acid method, acrylonitrile method, beta-aminopropionitrile method, succinimide method, etc. The conversion rate and purity of beta-alanine powder produced by chemical synthesis reached more than 95%, which is the most competitive synthetic method among the synthetic methods of β–alanine powder. However, the chemical synthesis method needs to be carried out under conditions such as high temperature, high pressure, strong acid and strong alkali. The reaction conditions are relatively extreme.
Bioenzyme conversion method
With the icreasing demand for green, sustainable development, enzymes have emerged as a promising alternative to traditional chemical catalysis. The preparation of beta-alanin through the reaction of intracellular enzymes and substrates in microbial cells has also become a research hotspot in recent years. It overcomes some difficulties of traditional chemical synthesis methods, including low cost, short production time, green and sustainable, etc.
According to different substrates, the bioenzyme conversion method can be divided into eye hydrolase conversion method(using beta-aminopropionitrile as substrate) and PanD conversion method(using L-aspartic as substrate).
Microbial fermentation method
Microbial fermentation is a method of using metabolic engineering, synthetic biology, protein engineering and other means to modify the metabolic flow of material synthesis, rationally modify and design metabolic pathways, and accumulate a large amount of target products. The use of microbial fermentation to produce amino acids has cheap substrates and a wide range of sources, which can bring huge commercial benefits to large-scale industrial production. Compared with chemical synthesis and enzymatic synthesis of betaalanine powder, microbial fermentation method has the advantages of relatively mild reaction conditions and less environmental pollution.
It usually takes several weeks, at least 2 weeks, to significantly increase muscle carnosine levels.
The optimal dose is 3.2-6.4g of beta alanine taken continuously at any time of the day for at least 28 days. Note that beta alanina produces an acute irritative response, often perceived as a tingling or itchy sensation, known as paresthesia.
Supplementing with β-alanine powder before exercise will be most convenient and effective. Taking it 30-45 minutes before exercise allows the supplement to get into your body and work better.
Beta-alanine is often combined with other sports supplements like creatine and sodium bicarbonate. Research shows that supplementation with creatine and beta-alanin is effective for strength performance. Using creatine and beta-alanine together shows the most dramatic effects on lean muscle and body fat.
Where to Buy β-alanine
If you only need small amount, you can buy from local drugstore or supermarket. Buying from the Internet is also a good option. Then if you need large amount, Megaman – a reliable supplier of amino acids will be your ideal choice. Feel free to inquiry us for beta-alanine price now.